Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Walk now for Autism Speaks

Ada and I will join Linda Weeks and her family at "Walk now for Autism Speaks" on Saturday, April 28, 2012, at Garfield Park. Linda is a Polymer Clay Artist just like me. Her grand daughter, Vivian, is Autistic, so, we share the similar but different frustration and concern about ours love one.
I have never paid attention about Autism much since Ada has TBI, but the more I look at it, the conditions are quite similar. For example, there was a story on 60 minute about how Autism kids love to work with the iPad, and so does Ada. It help them communicate as well as learning new things. I mentioned this to Ada's doctor who still not convinced and thought Ada's condition should be more similar to patient with a stroke. Not really, I don't think so.
You know me, I don't always agree with the doctor, most of the time I had to take the matters in my own hand since they had no idea how we should treat Ada. And I am her mom, right? I should know better.
When the therapist labeled Ada with " behavior problem", I see it as the "typical behaviour of a toddler". For example; one time I was talking to Ada's therapist and Ada started to throw things around and pushing her chair from the table, that's remind me of when you go to the grocery store and stop to talk to someone you know, suddenly, your kid start grabbing stuffs off the shelf or throw things out of the shopping card, that's exactly what I think. Typical, isn't it? Well, at lease my kids did that. LOL
Another big concern that I found very similar is that we all worry about who will take care of our kids after we were gone. Ada doesn't talk, she doesn't like to be in a small place like Doctor office, she doesn't like to be at a noisy, busy place, and yet, I can't keep her in the house forever, she must learn and experience the real world.
I am not into the idea of sending her to Adult day care just yet, but to join this walk, will give Ada, and me, the opportunity to be among others who won't judge, won't stare, won't look away, don't pretend that we are not existed.
HERE is the link to Ada's page. http://www.walknowforautismspeaks.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=1002635&lis=1&kntae1002635=16B83CA1E1EE48C2B90171D3B31EBB82&supId=353450627
If you can donate a few bucks to out group, I would be greatly appreciated it. I am looking for ward to be out walking with other family.

No comments: