Friday, December 11, 2009

Disco Ball, Michael Jackson and Prince

It is the right combination that we've been looking for. Ada always listen to music. When she was a little girl, we listened to Classical music. At school age, we were in the car a lot for Gymnastic meets, so we put on Oldie music so I can sing along while driving. By the time she gets to High School, she had her preference. Ada had music on all the time. In her room, in her car, on computer.
Every time we saw therapist, they always ask me what kind of music did she like. I can't tell them because nothing seems to get her attention. What color that she like? What can we use to lure her to do things we ask her to do? I was pretty hopeless until we went to Crossroad.
They have a device that hook up to the disco ball. We set the timer and when it stop, Ada has to push the button to make it starts again. She was laughing at the disco ball. The speech therapist also let us use "Cheerio" as bait.
We got the device and we hook up the disco ball along with CD player that happened to have "Prince" CD in it. She gave us a million dollar smiles. We also alternate "Prince" with "MJ" and she responses to that very well. She also sat quietly watching "Mama Mia" and "Purple Rain" the other day.
We used to play "MJ" music a lot when my kids were young. Arthy wanted to dance with "MJ" when he grew up. Probably the beats and loud music that caught her attention, but I think there are a lot of Ada in there waiting to come out.
She also making "AHH" sound in her throat all day, I can hear it from my table which is in front of her room.
We will continue to work (and play) with her every chance we get.
Hopefully more good news to come.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, Ponsawani...so EXCITING!!! It is wonderful to see a "lot of Ada" coming out and knowing she is responding. Music always helps in all kinds of therapy and learning strategies..... I am excited to hear she is making a sound with her throat....she is trying to talk! YES!!!!!!!!!! Go Ada....you will be able to communicate soon! Go Ponsawani, you are the best! Love you both, F & M

Anonymous said...

MY dear Ponsawan,
It seems to me Ada's speech is around the corner. How thrilled!! Is she discovering that she can make noises and hence recovering her talking skills? Well done Ada and Ponsawan. I can't wait to hear what happens next.
With much love.

angkana said...

Woo Hoo!!!!

Great news and you are the best Ponsawan :)

Hugs and kisses to you both.

Love,
Yui

PS: I got your handpainted Christmas card yesterday. Thank you. The card is so beautiful I can't stop looking at it. You are so talented...truly a great artist.